History of Ethiopia’s National Intelligence and Security Service
- Ethiopia’s first Intelligence and Security Institution was established after the Invasion Of Italy(1935).
- In 1935 under the Ministry of Governor, General Security Department was established by Proclamation Number 6/1934
- From 1935-1953 the Security and Intelligence Institution was led by Lieutenant Workneh Gebeyehu.
- In 1955, it was divided into National security and Emperor Haile Selassie’s Special cabinet.
- After the attempted Coup-d’état in 1955 till 1966 the security and Intelligence institution remains under the Emperor’s Special cabinet.
- Between 1935 and 1966 the Emperor’s Special cabinet was led by Mr. Solomon Kedir
- When the Military Derg Came to power it re-established the security office with the name Committee for peoples Security and Peace by the proclamation number 10/1966.
- In August 1972 it was established in an institutionalized format as Ministry of Security Protection for the Country and the People
- In 1980 following the establishment of Ethiopia’s People Democratic Republic it was re- established as Ministry of Internal Affair.
- From 1966-1983 Colonel Tesfaye Woldesilassie was a leader at Ministerial level.
- In 1983 When EPRDF came to power the office of Security and Intelligence was made dysfunctional.
- From 1983 -1987 it was included under Ministry of Internal Affair which was led by Mr. Kuma Demeksa.
- From 1987-1995 under the name Authority for Security, Immigration and Refugees Affair it was re-established by proclamation number 6/1987 under the Office of the Prime Minister.
- From 1987-1993 it was led by Ato Kinfe G/Medhin
- From 1993-2010 it was led by Getachew Asseffa
- In 2005 it was re-established under proclamation number 804/2005 and named National Intelligence and Security Service.
- After the recent Changes from June 2010 –June 2011 General Adem Mohammed was the Director General of NISS.
- Currently Commissioner Demelash G/Michael is the Director General of NISS